For a perfect audio sound without being disturbed while, playing your favorite game or listening to music you need the best over-ear headphones to achieve this. Here you will find our editors choice of the top 15 best Over-Ear Headphones.
As you should know by now there are different colors, styles, and flavors flooding the market and can be a daunting task to choose one. One would not think that there is a difference between on-ear, over-ear, and in-ear headphones! The fact remains that there is a huge difference. They differ in appearance as on-ear headphones do not have plush cushions that cover your ears and are lighter than your over-ear ones.
Compared to in-ear or the over-ear range the on-ear headphone does not isolate noise well but is superb when it comes to breathing.
However, when it comes to the best isolation of noise the over-ear headphone stands out for all the right reasons. Each device features unique characteristics from noise cancellation technology, Bluetooth streaming, superb audio performance, clear and crisp high and mids and you can even buy them at discounted prices.
So if you are in need of an over-ear headphone stop stressing and tearing your hair out of your head! Stop for a while and view our collection of the best headsets to keep your ears glued to sound, and your wallet smiling for a little longer.
- Why Should You Choose an Over-Ear Headphone?
- Review of the 15 Best Over-Ear Headphones
- A Must Have for all Basshead’s
- A Masterpiece for Listening to Music
- An Audiophile Over-ear Headphone
- 3. The Yamaha PRO 500 Earcup Headphone
- The Most Popular Over-Ear Headphone
- For the Best Performance and Sound
- For Exceptional Music Reproduction
- For the Best Portable Over-ear Headphones
- A Bass Monster
- For Great Sound Performance and Comfort
- A Lightweight Bass-rich Over-the-ear Headphone
- A Super Powerful Headphone
- A Recording Studio Pedigree
- An Audiophile Favorite
- A Wireless Over-Ear Headphone
- A Low Priced High-Resolution Earcup Headphone
Why Should You Choose an Over-Ear Headphone?
Choosing an over-ear headphone offers you maximum bass and loudness levels as the earcups are larger. The Circumaural headphones made with plush earcups that enclose your ears. This is superb and gives you the best acoustic isolation. Using the closed-back headphone is best suited for home use as many of them are not as portable as your on-ear headphones.
However, things are changing in the manufacturing world of earcup headphones! Many brand names are starting to challenge the markets in making these devices more portable. One of the main features of the over-the-ear headphone is definitely the sound as it gives you a larger sound stage.
Another great thing is that the headsets blocks out the noise and seals the music in. The only negative side is that they eventually cause heat buildup around the ears. The other concern is that some of the headbands can interfere with accessories you are wearing such as earrings or glasses.
However, they are available in different designs from having detachable cords, track navigation, volume controls found on the wire, folding designs, and you can plug them in with extra plugs for multiple listeners to use.
Top 15 Best Over-Ear Headphones in 2017 Comparison
|The JVC Real Sound HA-SZ2000 DB Headphone||4.3||$150- $200||]|
|The Fostex TH900 Circumaural Headphones||4.3||$1300-$1400|
|The Yamaha PRO 500 Earcup Headphone||3.9||$300-$350|
|The V-MODA M-100 Crossfade Earcup Headphones||4.5||below $50|
|The Bowers & Wilkins P5 Over-Ear Headphones||3.9||250$-$300|
|The Monster® Inspiration ANC||4.1||$50- $100|
|The Sennheiser Momentum 2.0||4.2||$100-$200|
|The JVC HA-SZ1000 Kenwood Victer||3.8||$150-$200|
|The Philips SHS5200/28 Rich Bass Neckband Headphone||4.1||50$-$100|
|The Sennheiser HD201 Over-Ear Headphones||4.1||Below $50|
|The Sony MDRXB800 Extra Bass Headphones||4.4||$100-$150|
|The Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro Over-Ear Headphone||3.3||$550-$600|
|The NAD VISO HP50 Over-Ear Headphone||4.1||$250-$300|
|The Bose QuietComfort 35 Headphone||4.5||$350-$400|
|The Audio Technica ATH-MSR7Headphone||4.6||$250-$300|
Review of the 15 Best Over-Ear Headphones
A Must Have for all Basshead’s
1. The JVC Real Sound HA-SZ2000 DB Headphone
When it comes to bass, the JVC Real Sound HA-SZ2000 DB Headphone is our editor’s first choice. For enjoying complex and bass sound, these headsets are perfect. Experience a new level of bass while using the closed-back headphones with your iPod or tablet. You can even connect them to an amplifier and equalizer when playing your music.
Wearing the JVC Real Sound DB Headphones is comfortable as it has big plush ear pads. The only thing that you may need to get used to is the weight but remains a serious earcup headphone. You can easily enjoy listening to music at home while sitting or lying down as they give you an average sound isolation. The great thing is that you can replace the ear pads with isolation ones. The vibration inhibiting cylinders made of brass and the head pad of synthetic leather and mesh. Additional accessories included are a carrying pouch.
Stand Out Features
The over-the-ear headphones have double drivers to give you a deep tone and for higher tones, it has 33mm drivers. To make the extra pitch lower the 30mm driver acts as a sub-woofer. The headset is a bit on the bulky side but made to last. What is does lack is a longer cord as it only measures 1.2m and best to make sure that you have an extension on hand.
- Designed with a closed back that gives you the best sound isolation
- The bass does not have a boom sound but a superb thump sound effect
- You can replace the ear pads
- Gives you a decently wide soundstage
- Does not need an amp but when paired with one the sounds superb
- The mids is a bit muted, but you can fix this by using an equalizer
- The cord is a bit on the short side but can be fixed with an extension cord
A Masterpiece for Listening to Music
2. The Fostex TH900 Circumaural Headphones
For a high-end over-ear headphone, the Fostex TH900 features some amazing characteristics! One of these features that stand out is the newly designed driver unit the 1.5-tesla magnetic circuit with a biodynamic 50mm diaphragm.
The Fostex TH900 is a superb Japanese design with “Urushi” housing that has 7N OFC cable. With the over-ear headphones on your head, you get a wider stereo field as the high-resolution “Biodyna” diaphragms made with Bio-Cellulose fiber.
The closed-back headphone has a Neodymium magnetic circuit made with 15,000 gausses magnetic flux density for a wider dynamic sound range. The ear pads are soft and comfortable while the housings made from Cherry Birch and have an impedance of 25-ohm with 2-inch dynamic drivers.
- The TH900 has a super design
- The earcups and headband is comfortable to wear
- The headband gives you ample adjustment for a perfect fit
- The lacquer finish found on the earcups gives it a nice touch
- Gives you a super sound when used with your iPhone
- The highpoint is the bass as the low bass is well defined and has no issue with transition of low bass frequencies
- The earcups made from synthetic leather that is soft but not as soft as lambskin earpads
- The earpads are not as deep and do not seal off outside sound completely
An Audiophile Over-ear Headphone
3. The Yamaha PRO 500 Earcup Headphone
For detailed and bold to loud sound, the Yamaha PRO 500, earcup headphone is one of the best over-ear headphones available. You can easily get a high volume out of these headsets when used with your phone or laptop. You can hear a prominent, yet balanced deep low sound with clear mids and trebles.
For some of you, the Yamaha PRO 500 may feel a bit uncomfortable, as they are heavier than other brands available. These headsets designed to fit larger heads and offer you passive noise isolation. The headphone has a durable and sturdy design available in two color styles Piano Black and Racing Blue. The over-ear headphones cable is 4-foot that is tangle resistant with an in-line remote/microphone.
For a sound that sends shivers down your spine, the PRO 500 has a robust 50mm driver built into the aluminum alloy earcups. You can use the headset with your Smartphone, tablets, and more as it has neodymium magnets for superb sound. The maximum power is 1,000mW and it has a pressure level of 106 dB with a frequency response of 20 Hz – 20 kHz. Included dual input/output ports found on the left and right earcups.
- The Yamaha PRO 500 has a 4-foot tangle-resistant cable with a remote/mic
- You can buy an additional 10-foot cable making the cables detachable to replace
- You receive a carrying case
- The headphones fold into a traveling size
- Gives you a rich and balanced bass
- The mids and highs are clear
- Stylish design and available in two different colors
- Heavier than your average headphone
- Made for larger heads
The Most Popular Over-Ear Headphone
4. The V-MODA M-100 Crossfade Earcup Headphones
If you enjoy listening to overpowering bass, the V-MODA M-100 Crossfade is sure to please you. For a loud and punchy bass, these headsets will make a huge difference in sound. You can use them with an amplifier or pair it up with your Smartphone.
The Crossfade M-100 has smaller and shallow earcup pads that may be a problem when it comes to comfort, but the build quality is superb. You can buy the over-ear headphones in four stylish color designs Matte Black Metal, Phantom Chrome, Shadow, and White Silver. The CLIQFOLD designs superb for traveling and includes an exoskeleton carry case. The earcups have BLISS memory foam cushions that naturally forms with your ears.
The V-MODA headphones have 50mm dual-diaphragm drivers tested at 6 frequencies for a consistent sound. You can enjoy immersive 3D soundstage with clean deep bass and more. The headsets lightweight and have no batteries or artificial processing with an STEELFLEX headband and Vegan leather cover. The cables detachable and have a built-in speakeasy mic.
- The headset has a stylish design and available in different colors
- Has a punchy and overpowering bass sound
- Superb noise isolation
- Has a durable build to last a lifetime
- Superb sound quality when listening to sound
- Includes a 2-year limited warranty
- The overpowering bass may be too loud for some users
- If you do have larger ears the headphone may feel a bit uncomfortable
For the Best Performance and Sound
5. The Bowers & Wilkins P5 Over-Ear Headphones
When it comes to the best performance and sound, the Bowers & Wilkins P5 has received the best over-ear headphones reviews from users. For noise isolation, these closed-back headphones are superb as they have metal faceplates on the sealed earpads.
You can collaborate the Bowers & Wilkins P5 with your iPhone, as the cables are interchangeable. The headsets made with plush material and the earpads made from high-quality leather for sound isolation. The audiophile-grade headphones fold flat and only weigh 195 grams.
With the ultra-linear neodymium magnets and optimized Mylar diaphragms, the sound is perfect when paired with your iPhone, laptop, music system and more. The cable has a remote/microphone that works on most mobile devices. The ear cushions and cables are interchangeable. You receive a carry pouch to keep your headset stored away and include a two-year limited warranty. The cable length is 3.8-feet and it has a frequency response of 10Hz – 20 kHz with two 1.5-inch drivers.
- Gives you a full balanced sound
- Has a superb build
- Comfortable to wear
- Includes a tote bag
- Great to listen to all types of music
- Has inline control for iOS only
For Exceptional Music Reproduction
6. The Monster® Inspiration ANC Over-Ear Headphones
For an exceptional music reproduction performance in sound, the Monster® Inspiration ANC over-ear headphones are customizable to suit your style. An outstanding thing about these circumaural headphones is that you can change the headbands and it’s available in two different colors titanium and space gray.
A Fabulous Design
With the Monster Inspiration headphones, you can enjoy noise canceling to enjoy music anywhere you go. You can buy designer headbands sold separately to create your own fashion style. The headbands ultra light and brushed with a titanium finish while the earcups made from leather. Use it with any mobile device with the ControlTalk cable included and you can use it with Skype.
Included with your purchase
Included with your purchase you receive the high-performance over-the-ear headphones, three cables with in-line controls, two inspiration headbands (the color and style may vary), a protective travel case, an anti-microbial cleaning cloth, and two AAA batteries.
- Listening to sound through these headsets are superb
- Very well balanced high, mids, and deep bass
- The active noise cancellation helps when traveling
- Superb color styles with the interchangeable headbands
- The ControlTalk cable is superb to connect to most mobile devices
- A bit on the bulky side
- Giant headphones that may fit uncomfortable on smaller heads
For the Best Portable Over-ear Headphones
7. The Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Closed-Back Headphones
The Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 closed-back headphones considered the best portable headset available on the market. You will enjoy a crisp and clear sound with strong bass when listening to music. If you need a dynamic balance with high, mids and lows these headphones designed to please you.
A Mind-Blowing Design
You can listen to your Smartphone or other mobile devices with the Momentum 2.0 headphones and there is no need of adding an amplifier. The earcup headphones have a mind-blowing design and you can even wear them while working out. The manufacturer has made these headsets bigger to suit larger heads compared to their older 1.0 model. They are lightweight and the ear pads made off memory foam and covered with leather. Choose from three different color styles black, brown, and ivory.
What makes these headphones unique?
This over-ear model has a closed back design that helps to isolate noise. Included you receive an in-line 3 button remote with a mic that you can use with different mobile devices. For a wide frequency response, it has an 18-ohm transducer and a foldable stainless steel headband. The cables detachable and locks in place. Additionally, you receive a two-year warranty.
- You receive a nice carrying bag and an airplane adapter
- You can listen to high-end sound that is well balanced and clear
- Comfortable to wear
- Has a durable design
- Fold for ease of travel
- The cables interchangeable
- A bit more expensive than the older model
A Bass Monster
8. The JVC HA-SZ1000 Kenwood Victer Over-Ear Headphones
If you enjoy listening to bass, the JVC Kenwood HA-SZ1000 is a bass monster. The headsets built well and on the hefty side. The superb thing is that when you use the fine over-head headphones the vocals are not in your face.
A Marvelous Design
The HA-SZ1000 is a massive metal silver ring that’s combined with thick plastic hinges giving it an attractive design. You can even find English Braille letters indicating the left from the right side. The headband has ample leather padding. You have large earcups with dual drivers on each cup with a silver metal ring. The only concern is the earpads that are on the shallow side. On the other hand, the earpads are replaceable and you can buy better isolation pads for the headset.
The headphones have a frequency response of 5 – 28000Hz with a maximum input capability of 1500mW. JVC has used 30mm driver units for the mid-high frequency and 55mm drivers when used with a woofer. The magnet type is Neodymium and you receive included a carrying pouch.
- Can listen to different music genres with these headphones
- Superb bass sound once broke in
- Has a dedicated bass driver
- Solid build
- Comfortable to wear
- The ear pads are very shallow
- Does give you ear-piercing mid-high peaks and best used with an equalizer
- Does not have a detachable cable
For Great Sound Performance and Comfort
9. The Philips SHS5200/28 Rich Bass Neckband Headphone
For great sound performance and comfort, the Philips SHS5200/28 Rich Bass Neckband Headphone is stylish, visible, and comfortable to wear. What makes these headphones so unique is the durable cable and bass beat vents that allows the air to flow freely while enjoying a deep rich bass?
For a more reliable connection, the Philips Rich Bass Neckband headphone has a 24k gold-plated finish found on the plug. The ear cushions made from luxurious material for a perfect fit. On the neckband, you have special reflective material that makes you visible when out in the dark. The cable’s length is 1.5m and one-sided with a 3.5mm connector.
The cushions have a special shape for the best bass response and prevent audio leakage. The design unique as it’s constructed according to the ear for a comfortable fit. To help reduce cable strain it has a pull relief system. To help reduce tangling of the cable it only connects to one side. The headphone has an open acoustic system with a Mylar dome diaphragm. The frequency response is 12 – 24 000 Hz and the impedance is 24 Ohm.
- The cord is threaded and not rubber
- The earpiece is comfortable to wear and when exercising it does not let you sweat around the ears
- Has increased airflow to eliminate sweat and increases the bass
- Tight fit and the headbands not adjustable
- Open air and anyone will be able to hear what you are listening
A Lightweight Bass-rich Over-the-ear Headphone
10. The Sennheiser HD201 Over-Ear Headphones
For the best bass response at an affordable price, the Sennheiser HD201 over-ear headphones are lightweight. You will enjoy listening to the stereo crisp clear bass acoustic sound that is superb. The closed-back headphone has a punchy bass with an excellent rhythm that is not too overpowering.
The Distinctive Design
The headsets are comfortable to wear with the plush earpads that are soft against the ears. The construction of the headphones made of plastic and lightweight and has a 9.8-foot cord length. The earpads made from leather making them comfortable to wear for a long time.
The Sennheiser HD201 is a closed and dynamic stereo headphone that gives you a crisp, rich bass response. The earcups sealed preventing noise from bleeding in from the outside. Included with your purchase you receive a ⅛-inch and ¼ -inch adapter. The other superb thing is that you get a two-year warranty if anything happens to go wrong with the product.
- A cheap pair of headphones with amazing features
- The cushioned earpads are comfortable on the ears
- Depending on the size of your head the bass sounds terrific if not needed to press the earpads against your head
- Gives accurate sound production
- Stylish design
- The headphones not equalizer
- The wire does not last longer than a year if used on a daily basis
A Super Powerful Headphone
11. The Sony MDRXB800 Extra Bass Headphones
The Sony MDRXB800 Extra Bass Headphone may not be as flamboyant as our other best over-ear headphones but can still pack the punch when it comes to listening to music.
A Modest Design
The exterior of the MDRXB800 ear cups has a black enamel layer with silver-mirrored lines. The ear pads oversized and covered with black leatherette and foam. On the inside of the ear pads, there are 50mm drivers that blast the best bass sound into your ears. The headbands made from plastic and covered with leatherette while the cables 3.8-foot long and flattened to prevent it from being tangled. The ear cups swivel 180° with a dual folding design.
The circumaural headphone has a minimum frequency response of 3 Hz and has an over-the-head design with a sensitivity of -106 decibels.
The maximum frequency response of the 3.94-foot cable is 28 kHz and the connector’s gold plated while the earpiece driver is a neodymium type driver made from oxygen free copper. You can connect the headphone to the majority of mobile devices.
- The design is flashy
- Has a thunderous bass
- Includes a one-year limited warranty
- Has a powerful driver
- Comfortable to wear
- Attractive price
- Lacks balance
- The clarity and detail of sound is absent
A Recording Studio Pedigree
12. The Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro Over-Ear Headphone
For an entry-level over-ear headphone, the Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro is a recording studio pedigree. This closed-back headphone may be a bit on the bulky side but they are exceptional when it comes to sound. The only concern that you may have is the price, as they do not come cheap.
A Flamboyant Design
For an accurate, clean, and enjoyable sound, the headphones made from aluminum that holds the unique drivers in place. The two ear cups supported by an adjustable support bar and the upper headband layered with memory foam padding and leather.
These ear pads give you an amazing noise isolation and comfortable while wearing. The removable cable designs superb and includes two options by using a standard 3m cord with coiled wiring and soft rubber finish. Both the cords have detachable 3.5mm and 6.35mm jacks. You get a posh carry case that keeps the headphone neatly packed away.
The Beyerdynamic DT 1770 is a closed studio designed the headphone that you can use to listen, master, mix and monitor music. The drivers built into the headphones are 250 Ohm, 45mm Tesla neodymium. The cable is single sided and detachable with a Mini-XLR connector. Included you receive both straight and coiled cables, replaceable leatherette and velour ear pads and a posh carry case.
- Has an exceptional sound profile
- You receive an extensive accessory kit
- Operates superbly on mobile devices
- Can use it with an external amplifier
- Gives you a natural bass sound with amazing soundstage
An Audiophile Favorite
13. The NAD VISO HP50 Over-Ear Headphone
The NAD VISO HP50 over-ear headphone is the audiophile’s favorite when it comes to listening to music. You can buy the headphone in three stylish colors black, white, and red. For a full-sized headphone, it has the perfect construction and only weighs 8-ounces.
Has a Ritzy Design
The detachable cable of the over-ear headphone is 4.2-foot long and integrates with all Apple devices with the 3-button remote and microphone. The headphone is suitable to while on the go and at home as it has a compact design that folds flat. You receive a nice carrying case with it that has a separate accessory bucket case. The earcups padded with memory foam and seal out ambient noise.
The NAD VISO features trademark RoomFeel Technology that helps you to sense the music while listening to it. You can take full control of your music while using your Apple device with the multi-click 3-button remote. The headphones work with any type of ⅛-inch jack but when paired with your device you can control the music from skipping tracks and more. The built in drivers are dynamic 40mm with a sensitivity of 100 dB and a bass extension of -3dB at 15Hz.
- You can listen to clean sound when using these headphones
- Well designed
- Comfortable to wear
- Folds flat
- Includes amazing accessories with a nice carrying case
- Includes straight and Apple integrated cable
- Some of the remote features may not work on your Apple device
A Wireless Over-Ear Headphone
14. The Bose QuietComfort 35 Headphone
For noise, canceling while listening to music the Bose QuietComfort 35 headphone is one of the best over-ear headphones you can buy. The headphone has a wide headband that gives you a stable fit for long hours of use.
Has a Classy Design
The QuietComfort 35 has a classy design, as there are microphones on the inside and outside of the earcups. Another thing that stands out is the fact that the headphones equipped with a digital equalizing system. This helps to balance the sound when listening to low and high volumes. The headphones wireless and have a battery life of 20-hours. On the other hand, you can use a rechargeable battery with it. The other great news is that you can use this over-ear headphone as a wired one if the battery runs dry.
For excellent noise isolation, the Bose QuietComfort 35 superb as it has optimized EQ for the best audio performance. The headphone connects wireless with Bluetooth and NFC pairing. Included it has a noise-rejection dual microphone to receive clear calls when outdoors.
- Superb noise canceling
- Pairs via NCF or Bluetooth
- Has a battery life of 20-hours
- Fold-up design
- Comfortable to wear
- Excellent sound
- Can use it while making or receiving calls
- Can work in wired mode if needed
- The batteries not user replaceable
A Low Priced High-Resolution Earcup Headphone
15. The Audio Technica ATH-MSR7Headphone
The Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 headphones you can buy in different color options giving a rich detailed sound. The over-the-ear headphone has a sleek design with plush earcups.
The Glamorous Design
The headset has a detachable cord that you receive with additional cords. The headphone weighs 290 grams. The three included straight cables are 3.9-feet and 9.8-feet in length and one offers you an inline remote/microphone. The housings made with aluminum/magnesium material and have a triple-vent system to control the air stream for the purest audio clarity.
Included with the headset you receive a vinyl carry bag and three cables. Audio-Technica has sued true motion drivers for the best audio reproduction and multi-layered with air damping technology. The earpads made with soft memory foam. For high frequency, they used stainless steel acoustic mesh while the bass acoustic resistors are superb for low-frequency response.
- Impressive audio sound quality
- Has a durable build
- Fits most heads comfortably
- Includes three different cables
- One of the cables has an inline remote/microphone
- A bit on the heavy side
For a great sounding and the best over-ear headphones, our editor’s choice is sure to please you. Each one presents you with great sound and impressive details that bring out the best in them.
You can use them for listening to music, workouts, while on the go, or in the comfort of your home. For the best bass effects, you can choose any one of the superb headphones and bring crisp clear sound to your ears.