Best Noise Canceling Headphones in 2017 Reviews
Traveling with any public transportation has never been very quiet. We live in an era where everyone makes use of public transport to commute and the sound of people and mechanics have a tendency to pierce our eardrums whether we want it to or not.
These normally prevent you from listening to your favorite music to hear the bass drumming in your ears. Thankfully, we have selected some of the best noise canceling headphones in 2016 to make your music sound more efficient and better. In fact, they allow you to listen to your music without the background noise with low-frequency sounds to make your trip a great one.
The headphones presented with us manage to deliver a combination of comfort, sound, and style.
- Best of the best: Bose QuietComfort 25
- Why Noise canceling headphones?
- Why choose ANC headphones:
- Who should use noise-canceling headphones?
- Over the Ear Headphones without Bluetooth
- Best Bluetooth Noise Cancelling Headphones
Best of the best: Bose QuietComfort 25
For the best noise, canceling headphones available on the market the Bose QuietComfort 25 is an overall winner with many people. It is an upgrade to its younger brother the QuietComfort 15 headphone the QC 25 takes everything a step further.
Bose is superb when it comes to noise canceling and the overall winners in this category. Noise cancellation plays a big role, these are over the ear headphones, and even if you are standing in a rowdy subway turning on the ANC (Active Noise Control) on background noise is outdated.
They cancel out low frequencies and manage to negate some middle range sounds such as birds chirping or traffic sounds as well. You will still hear some of the low and middle frequencies as with any other pair of headphones and not 100% perfect.
Changeable batteries power the ANC and present you with up to 35-hours use power the headphones. They are durable and made of plastic and do not fit like a tank and the build qualities average. They are suitable for travelers as they are lightweight and comfortable.
Even the sound quality has improved compared to the QC15 as the mid-range and treble sounds more defined. There is enough bass maybe not the deepest but one can hear it clear enough. It is a more balanced headphone but you cannot compare them in the same range as the non-canceling headphones.
- Considerable noise reduction that is great for commuting anywhere,
- The Bose QC25 has a powerful sound when listening to music,
- They are comfortable and lightweight with an around the ear fit,
- It has a built-in remote and mic to control your music on your Apple devices and make calls,
- Characteristic design in Black or White,
- You receive the headphones, airline adapter, a carrying case and the batteries included,
- Compared to the QC 15 the QC 25 you can use it without the batteries,
- They are designed to use with most mobile devices such as Android, BlackBerry, Windows, iPod, iPad, and iPhone models, and
- You receive a one-year limited warranty.
For the best in noise, canceling you the Bose QuietComfort 25 with its lightweight and comfortable design will not disappoint you. You will be able to travel long distances with this headphone that gives you up to 30-hours of use with great sound. The only downside may be the price.
Why Noise canceling headphones?
There are many misconceptions when it comes to noise canceling headphones and depends on what you prefer. With noise canceling technology in place, it does have its advantage when in need of revoking out low-frequency noise and still hear a person talking to you.
You need to remember that it is only effective on the lower frequency sound like the plane engines humming sound and great for commuting with public transport. If you are, a person who enjoys loud noise with a constant and predictable ambient sound kept out then yes goes for a noise-canceling headphone.
When using a pair of headphones with noise reduction in it the earphones use a microphone to sense ambient noise. It signals the electronics, creates an opposite sound effect sent to the headphones, and negates the original sound in your ears.
Why choose ANC headphones:
• They help with the annulment of lower and middle-frequency sounds,
• It presents you with a quieter environment to listen to your music, and
• You can use them for reducing noise without the need of listening to music but they do come at a higher price and at times has a lower sound quality.
Who should use noise-canceling headphones?
As previously mentioned if you prefer loud noise booming in your eardrums and do not want to hear background noises then buy yourself a pair of noise canceling headphones. They are great for people who commute on public transport on a daily basis.
It helps you to listen to your music without the background noises of trains, busses, and airplanes disturbing your music while listening. Therefore, if you are one of these people who enjoy explosive noise in the ears without background noises interfering then look at what we have on offer below!
Best Noise Canceling Headphones in 2017 Comparison
|Bose QuietComfort 25||4.3||$250- $300|
|The Sennheiser PXC 450||3.8||$250-$300|
|Bose QuietComfort 3||3.7||$150-$200|
|The Monoprice Hi-Fi||3.8||Below 50$|
|The JVC HA-NC250||3.9||$50-$100|
|Bluetooth Golzer BANC-50 ANC||4.0||$50-$100|
|Parrot Zik 3 Wireless||3.2||$300-$350|
|The Denon AHG20 Globe Cruiser||3.1||350$-$400|
|The Sennheiser MM 450-X||3.8||$250-$300|
Our Selection of the Best Noise Canceling Headphones:
Over the Ear Headphones without Bluetooth
PSB M4U 2 Active Noise-Canceling Headphones
They are still suitable for commuting on public transport and even great to use in the office while working.
It has a closed-back design that fits comfortably over your ears with good submissive noise isolation that reduces background noise. The PSB M4U is a bit big as it has an amplifier working with two AAA batteries.
The great thing compared to the Bose is that these earphones present you with up to 50-hours of use. It has a metal construction with layers of plastic and this is the main reason they are a bit bulkier. They are more durable compared to the Bose QC but for portability, it presents you with more of a disadvantage.
They do fold making them more portable when traveling and the ear pads are soft while the headbands covered with a layer of leather. Wearing them is very secure and for some, the clamping force to the ears may be a bit of concern.
However, when it comes to sound these headphones shine as the audio is clearer and balanced. Enjoy listening to detailed sound across all ranges with a punchy bass.
- The headphones do not have an internal amplifier and work well when using your iPod or Smartphone,
- You have three different modes when listening to music a passive mode used without the noise canceling, an active mode with the use of the amplifier without using the noise cancellation, and the active noise cancellation mode where you use both the ANC and amplifier,
- It has an in-line microphone for hands-free use and you can control pausing and the noise reduction with the press of a button placed on the headphone,
- Designed for use around the ear and over the head with padded ear cups and adjustable headband,
For great noise canceling and super sound quality, you will be pleased with the PSB M4U. They are a bit on the bulky side but still have a great comfortable design. The design is perfect with the built-in amplifier and three listening modes with a battery life up to 50-hours and may be a bit expensive for some.
The Sennheiser PXC 450
For a decent noise reduction and great sound, you can opt for the Sennheiser PXC 450 headphones. This brand uses NoiseGard technology that works well when compared to brands such as Bose. They work well in noisy environments and can use them with the ANC or without it in using only the passive isolation.
The ANC powered by only one AAA battery that lasts up to 16-hours. Compared to our other models this one is not one of the best for listening to music for hours.
However, for durability, these are top-notch and covered by hardwearing plastic and soft pleather for the ear pads. The ear pads you can replace and the earphones are a bit heavy compared to others. In addition, this model has is the TalkThrough mode enabling you to talk to other people close to you.
This is done via the microphone that records your voice and sends it to the headphones so that you can hear it. However, it does not mute the music making it a bit awkward when used. For sound quality, these are even better than our QuietComfort range as it has a clear and detailed sound with not an overpowering quality and balanced well.
They even work great with the noise canceling off and great to use at home.
- It has switchable NoiseGard 2.0 technology for noise reduction and a closed-back design,
- The TalkThrough function helps you to communicate with others while listening to your music,
- It has a playback use of up to 16-hours and you can use it only as a passive earphone as well,
- It has a simple control for volume integrated into the headphone,
- The parts on the headphones replaceable,
- You receive a transport case, two different audio adapters to use when flying, the warranty and two included AAA batteries,
- It has an attenuation up to 32 dB with a cable length of 4.6 feet and connects with a 3.5mm connector, and
- A bonus is a 10-year warranty on all the parts and labor.
For good noise reduction, the PXC 450 headphones well built and has NoiseGard technology. They are bulkier but still comfortable and there is no sound change when the ANC’s powered off while the sound quality is superb.
The Bose Quiet Comfort 3 Headphones
The Bose QuietComfort 3 comes at a higher price and designed with on-ear and very effective to use. They may be costly but for sound quality, these earphones stand out. The active noise canceling is the best and comes with a changeable and rechargeable battery.
It gives you 25-hours of listening to music. There is no difference in the design compared to our previous model and the only difference is that these are on-ear earphones and lightweight. They are superb for commuting and durable.
They are a bit smaller and once placed on your head you will barely notice that you have them on. The ear pads are soft and distribute overall pressure making them comfortable. For sound, these are better than its brother the QC 25 is a little better when it comes to high and mids for detail.
For passive sound, they may not be perfect but when using the ANC works pretty well.
- You can change the cables if you prefer and great if you do break them,
- You receive two different cables one for you iPhone with integrated microphone for hands-free use and the other for your iPod with controls when used to play music,
- Has Acoustic Noise Canceling to reduce noise with a compact on-ear design with soft cushioning,
- It has tiny vents in the ear pads to stabilize the audio with a dynamic level of acoustic performance,
- Some other superb features are the rechargeable battery offering you 25-hours of use,
- The one cable has an inline microphone for using with your iPhone and other Apple devices while the other cable has an inline remote,
- The ear cups fold flat for ease of transport,
- You receive a slim carry case, the two detachable cables, a battery charger and airline adapter, and
- You get a one-year limited warranty.
This is one of the best noise canceling headphones with superb audio. They give you a comfortable fit and the rechargeable battery is great to use up to 25-hours. They are more expensive than the previous model and you may find the passive noise isolation not so great. However, with all the included features they are worth buying.
The Monoprice Hi-Fi Earphones
For great value for money, you can buy the Monoprice Hi-Fi earphones. You cannot compare them to the upmarket ones but still serve their purpose well. The ANC works well and does an excellent job and even the passive noise is not too bad once you start listening to your music.
It works with one AAA battery and presents you with up to 50-hours of active noise cancellation. The quality of the headphones built well and durable as the ear pads padded with nice fabric. Where the headbands concerned they could have used a little more padding here.
It even has a foldable design that is great for commuting and comfortable to wear as well. For sound, they compare well with the more top-notch headphones. When using the ANC the sound is superb and does not have a booming audio when it comes to bass and treble.
- The headphones cables are detachable and make them easier to pack away,
- The design is over-ear with included Active Noise Reduction technology to reduce ambient sound by 35dB when used passive and 22dB when in active mode,
- Make calls with the included cables as you receive two; one has an in-line mic and a cable with remote to use with your iPad or iPhone,
- Use it with your PC or Mac with the internet calling adapter and to keep it protected you receive a nylon carrying case, and
- Includes a one-year limited warranty
The Monoprice headphones have an excellent ANC for reducing noise at an affordable price. They are comfortable to wear with great sound quality but not better than our Sennheiser PXC 450 and compared, to other models on the market there are no disadvantages with these ones.
The JVC HA-NC250 Headphones
The JVC HA-NC250 headphones give you the best on-ear comfort wit isolation to background noise.
- Reduces noise up to 85% and you can use the ANC by switching it on or off,
- It is powered by one AAA battery and gives you up to 50-hours use,
- Designed with a double housing for sound reduction and the ear pads made from foam cushioning for comfort,
- They are lightweight and fold flat for ease of storage and included a carrying case, detachable cord, and an airline adapter,
- The headphones iPhone compatible as well but they do not have volume controls or a microphone for making calls, and
- It includes a limited warranty
For an affordable pair of ANC headphones with a great sound, you can look at the JVC HA-NC250. It has a superb battery life up to 50-hours and great for traveling. They are durable, lightweight, and great value for money. For noise reduction, it is perfect but you cannot compare the sound with more expensive models.
Best Bluetooth Noise Cancelling Headphones
The Bluetooth Golzer BANC-50 ANC Headphone
For a gem, presenting you with both ANC and Bluetooth the Golzer BANC-50 headphone is an excellent choice. It may not compare too many of the other models in our selection that are more expensive but you will be receiving solid value.
It has a great noise reduction maybe not as great as the Sennheiser but just as effective at getting the job done. It does not cancel out background noises completely but works well. It works with a rechargeable battery that presents you with up to 12-hours use. With the use of ANC, only you may get up to 30-hours, and use the Bluetooth up to 15-hours.
The build is not the best and some users complained they are badly made and does not include premium material. It has an over the ear design and thickly padded ear pads making them comfortable when used. While some people complained the ear, cups could be a bit bigger while the clamping force is strong.
They may be best suited for normal daily use but not traveling for long distances. It has a Bluetooth range of up to 30 feet and works well. If your music device supports AptX codec, you can use it. You receive a hard carrying bag and the included microphone works well when used.
The controls situated on the ear cups and only functions in Bluetooth mode and using the wired mode available saves on the battery life. The sound is not of a high standard but great as a wireless headphone. It does not have bass lows and more of something in between.
- Designed with ANC reducing up to 85% of background sound and has a built-in mic and you can use it in wired mode,
- Has AptX coding when used in Bluetooth audio quality if your mobile device supports it,
- Presents a battery life of 30-hours, and
- You receive an audio cable, a USB charging cable, adapter and carry case,
The BANC-50 is a decent pair of headphones and great for day-to-day use and not recommended for prolonged use. They are comfortable and affordable with loads of nice features. Even the active noise reduction feature works well but one still needs to review it as a budget model compared to other costly earphones.
Parrot Zik 3 Wireless Headphones
For a great priced ANC wireless headphone, you can look at the Parrot Zik with its minimalist design and great look. It has an above average noise reduction with superb cancellation for any type of occasion.These are over the ear designed and give you great passive isolation but better with the ANC used. They reduce up to 98% of background noise with the 5 different microphones available.
The acoustics is forceful and gives you real life experience when listening to music.The one lacking thing with the earphones is the battery life and will only get up to 5-hours of use with the Bluetooth and ANC on.
They are durable with a nice black finish and made from plastic with noticeable metal parts. For comfort, they are great as the ear pads are big and padded and you will be able to wear them for hours. When it comes to sound, it is not disappointing when used with the ANC on.
The audios balanced and clean and you can hear all the ranges. The connection with the Bluetooth works well up to 30 feet and it has a head detection sensor. Once removing the earphones your music stops playing and once placed back on your head the music starts playing again.
It has five microphones and one of them you use to make calls while you control your music with the touch sensor situated on the right ear cup. This only works if you are connected via the Bluetooth. Another great thing about the Parrot is that you can also use it at a wired headphone.
- For style, these Parrot Zik headphones are sleek with active noise cancellation,
- It has an intuitive touch-sensitive panel with head detection sensor,
- Connect to your mobile devices via Bluetooth V 2.1 connection,
- It is NFC capable and has Parrot Audio suite,
- Operates with a lithium ion battery that presents you with up to 5-hours use,
- Use it with most mobile devices,
- Includes a mini jack cable, micro USB cable for charging, a pouch, and quick start guide, and
- One-year warranty
These earphones are uniquely designed a bit bulky but comfortable to wear. The build is durable and has some exceptional features with great sound and reduction of noise. The only problem is that the battery does not last long when used.
The Denon AHG20 Globe Cruiser
The Denon AHG20 Globe Cruiser is well built, comfortable to wear, with great noise cancellation for a wirelessly connected headphone. It is perfect in any way only the price is steep.
The Denon fairs well when it comes to reducing background noise and great to use in any environment. It works with a chargeable battery and you can only charge it through the available micro USB cable. It gives you up to 20-hours of use when in wireless mode.
For durability, these are the best and has a great design made with plastic and strong internal parts. They are made for traveling on a daily basis as they fold flat. You have plush ear pads that are comfortable when on your ears.
It has the latest Bluetooth 4.0 technology to connect to most mobile devices up to 30 feet. It also supports AptX when using the wireless connection. It features Clear Voice Capture to help with improving your voice when making calls.
You can connect with the included cable if you prefer using them as wired headphones. For a Bluetooth earphone, the sounds perfect with high standard perfection compared to other models. It does not sound to bass and the audios balanced.
- The headphones designed with active noise reduction with dual microphones found on each of the earcups,
- Connect with the latest Bluetooth 4.0 technology to most mobile devices,
- Designed with CVC for clearer voice when talking to people over the headphones,
- Has tuned drivers presenting you with natural tonal balance,
- Designed with memory foam ear pads that are comfortable to wear for long durations of time,
- Receive a full accessory kit that includes cable for wired use, standard headphone plug adapter, airplane adapter, and a USB micro cable for charging,
The AHG20 is known for its great sound and noise reduction. They are comfortable to wear and made from durable material to last a long time. The button controls are nice and include some great accessories. For ease of storage, the earphones are foldable and work with or without the ANC. For all the features, the price is worthwhile but still a bit on the expensive side.
For a more affordable ANC pair of headphones, the Sony MDRZX770BN is superb. They are available in two different price ranges and both have Bluetooth connectivity.
It even compares well with some of our other models presented here.
Cancel out most of the background noises when commuting such as low-frequency noises, engine sounds, and more. Even the inert noise isolations great and the battery are built-in for charging with the included cable. It gives you up to 13-hours use with using the ANC and 20-hours without it.
It has an above average build and comfortable to wear and great for traveling. It has an over the ear design with padded ear pads. It has a forceful clamping structure but eases over time. It has both Bluetooth and NFC connectivity working up to 30 feet.
It supports AptX for mobile devices enabled with this technology. In addition, has a microphone for hands-free use. For sound, this is the best with high mids that are balanced and has a strong bass.
- Has digital noise canceling to reduce background sounds,
- Designed with high-quality Bluetooth with AptX support,
- Has Near Field Communication when connected to most mobile devices,
- Designed with hands-free calling as it has a built-in microphone,
- Can use it up to 13-hours and has 40mm drivers incorporated for superb sound,
- You receive included a micro-USB cable for charging, and a stereo audio cable, and
- You receive a limited warranty
For above noise reduction, style, duration, and a perfect fit the MDRZX770BN headphone is perfect. It has great sound quality but for the audiophile, it may not present enough bass. They are affordable and one cannot compare them with the upmarket earphones.
The Sennheiser MM 450-X
The Sennheiser MM 450-X is one of the best Bluetooth noise reduction headphones. With the integrated NoiseGard technology, the reduction in background noise is great. A battery you charge via the provided cable powers the ANC.
The only concern is that the battery needs to be ordered from the manufacturer and not available in the shops. You can listen to music up to 8-hours with both the Bluetooth and ANC. In addition, when used as a wired earphone you get up to 20-hours of use.
They are built well with a durable material making them comfortable to wear when traveling frequently. They include useful controls for changing songs, volume, play, and pause. The earpads are plush and soft.
The Bluetooth works up to 30 feet and you can also connect via the NFC for most devices. It has TalkThrough functionality that records the outside noises for you to hear. While with the hands-free use, it is great with the integrated microphone.
For sound quality, they are surprisingly good when keeping the ANC on at all times. The acoustics not overpowering and they have balanced the sound well.
- Designed with NoiseGard 2.0 for reducing background noise up to 90%,
- Has a foldable construction making it easier for storing away,
- Designed with an invisible microphone and has TalkThrough technology for recording outside noises when someone talks to you, and
- Has a two-year warranty
These headphones are superb for canceling out background noise and built with quality. It has a comfortable on the ear design and great for people commuting daily and traveling long distances. Has a balanced sound but not made for the person who enjoys bass? Many users’ said that the battery life could be a bit better and when it comes to sound, you cannot compare it to the most expensive brands available on the market.
If you are a person commuting to work on a daily basis or travel for hours on end our selection of the best noise canceling headphones made for you. All of the available models presented in our article are durable, present you with great sound, are comfortable to wear, and some are more affordable than others are. We hope that you have found this article informative in making a decision when in need of buying a great pair of ANC headphones.